NJ man contracts brain eating amoeba at Texas resort

Waco Wavepool Closed While CDC Tests for “Brain Eating Amoeba”

Waco Wavepool Closed While CDC Tests for “Brain Eating Amoeba”

A 29-year-old surfer died from what is commonly known as a "brain-eating amoeba" after visiting a resort in Waco, Texas.

Eighteen-year-old Lauren Seitz of OH died in June 2016 after she contracted the brain-eating amoeba after rafting with a church group at the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, N.C., the Charlotte Observer reported.

Stabile was an avid outdoorsman who loved snowboarding, surfing, and anything to do with friends and family, according to an obituary published by The Press of Atlantic City.

According to the CDC's online information, Naegleria fowleri typically infects people through contaminated water in lakes, rivers or streams and usually enters the body through the nose.

Friend and family members have created a new nonprofit to raise awareness of the amoeba, called "The Fabrizio Stabile Foundation for Naegleria Fowleri Awareness". One other person who visited the water park has also reportedly been infected by the amoeba.

Why you're getting a Trump text Wednesday: FEMA's new test alert, explained
You'll soon be getting a message on your phone from the President of the United States - whether you are a supporter or not. Cellphone users can expect their phone to get the alert, along with "a loud tone and vibration" at 2:18 p.m .

"BSR Surf Resort operates a state of the art artificial man-made wave", he said.

He tested for Naegleria fowleri, a rare and unsafe amoeba typically found in freshwaters such as lakes and rivers.

It wasn't immediately clear when Stabile visited the BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco, but the facility voluntarily closed for testing on Friday. Once it reaches the brain it causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), which is often fatal. The federal agency says only four of the 143 people known to have been infected in the USA between 1962 and 2017 have survived. He said the surf resort is in compliance with the CDC's "guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri". Symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, and vomiting, followed by a stiff neck, confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures, and hallucinations. After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly.

Doctors are not sure how or why a very few people are susceptible, but it's clear that having water forced up into the sinuses, perhaps by dunking or diving, is an important factor.

The amoeba is rare, with 34 infections reported in the United States from 2008 to 2017.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.