Michelle Guthrie Dumped As ABC Boss

ABC managing director Michelle Guthrie sacked after several months of talks

ABC managing director Michelle Guthrie sacked after several months of talks

Ousted ABC managing director Michelle Guthrie has responded to her shock axing, saying she is "devastated" at the decision made by the national broadcaster's board of directors and is now considering her legal options.

Ms Guthrie said she was "devastated" by the decision and was considering her legal options.

Guthrie was kicked out of the job on Monday half-way through her five-year term, and Milne said her relationship with the government was a factor.

She made it clear she wanted to continue to oversee the ABC's transformation.

Milne conceded Guthrie had done a "pretty good" job turning the ABC towards its digital future.

He said the decision to sack the managing director was not a reflection on the selection process when she was appointed as Mark Scott's successor.

"By law, Managing Directors are selected by the ABC Board independently of the Government and Opposition of the day", the ABC noted in its statement.

"That's what they're responsible for, and I'll hold them to account for that".

"The board felt in the end that her leadership style was not the style that we needed going forward", he said.

Jose Mourinho questions attitude of Man Utd players after draw against Wolves
I never had a difference of attitude. "Against Tottenham we lost the game but I liked very much my team's performance". Mourinho said that his team has the talent but they are not able to cross the line owing to a mental situation.

"In resolving to seek fresh leadership, the board's foremost consideration was the long term interests of our own people and the millions of Australians who engage in ABC content every week", Chairman Justin Milne said in a statement.

"Her relationship with the board is not something the leadership team could actually see, nor will I criticise Michelle in any way for the last two-and-a-half years".

What on earth is the government's explanation for Michelle Guthrie's apparent sacking as head of the ABC.

The ABC board has commenced a formal search, both internally and externally, for Ms Guthrie's replacement.

Her appointment as the first woman to run the ABC was criticised because she had no journalism or public broadcasting experience.

"At no point has any issue been raised with me about the transformation being undertaken, the Investing in Audiences strategy and my effectiveness in delivering against that strategy".

News of Guthrie's departure was reported by The Australian before the decision had been communicated to ABC staff.

"We all know that we face challenges around budget constraints, increased competition and changing audience behaviours".

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.