At least 29 children killed in strike on Yemen bus

One dead, several wounded after Saudi Arabia 'intercepts Yemen missile'

One dead, several wounded after Saudi Arabia 'intercepts Yemen missile'

Scores of civilians, mostly children, were killed and injured in an airstrike on Thursday by USA allies on a bus in a crowded market in northern Yemen, according to health officials and global aid agencies.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the coalition air strike and called on all parties to spare civilians and "to respect their obligations under worldwide humanitarian law, in particular the fundamental rules of distinction, proportionality and precautions in attack", U.N. deputy spokesman Farhan Haq said.

The International Committee of the Red Cross reported on Twitter that its medical team had received "the bodies of 29 children, all under 15 years old" and was treating "48 injured people, among them 30 children".

Speaking by phone to the US-based news outlet, spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition supporting Yemen's government, Col Turki Al Maliki, insisted Thursday's attack carried out in Saada is a "legitimate military action" and is "in accordance with worldwide humanitarian law and customs".

Al-Masirah, the TV station of the armed Houthi movement, said on its Twitter account that 39 people had been killed and 51 wounded.

The UN children's agency UNICEF said it was "very concerned with the initial reports of children being killed".

Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have been leading a military campaign in support of the internationally recognised government in Yemen and against the Iran-backed Houthi rebels.

On Wednesday night, Col. Al-Maliki stated that at (20:34) the Coalition Air Defense detected a ballistic missile launch from Northern Amran in Yemen, aimed at Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia Punishes Canada for Criticizing Human Rights Defenders' Arrests
Canadian investments in Saudi Arabia were still ongoing and would not be affected by the dispute, he said. Saudi state airline Saudi said it was suspending flights to and from Toronto.

The Saudi-led coalition is fighting to defeat Houthi rebels who expelled the Yemeni government from the capital and took control of vast swathes of the country.

Upon interception, Saudis say the missile exploded into fragments that killed one Yemeni civilian and injured 11 other people.

Houthi media broadcast gruesome footage appearing to show the dead bodies of children.

"We call on the Saudi-led coalition to conduct.an investigation", Nauert said. "Spare the Yemeni people more death and misery", said Sylvia Ghaly of Save the Children.

The United Nations envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffiths, last week told the Security Council "a political solution" to end the Yemen war was "available" and that the warring sides would be invited to talks on September 6 in Geneva.

Reuters reported that the militants have fired dozens of missiles into the kingdom in recent months, often intercepted by Saudi forces.

Abu Muzahem, a resident of Dahyan, was working building a house when the air strike hit the market on Thursday morning.

The Yemen war has killed more than 10,000 people, displaced more than two million and driven the country to the verge of starvation, according to the United Nations.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.